The East Sussex Pension Fund, with around 80,000 members, over 130 employers and in excess of £4.5 billion in assets, is looking for an Independent Chair for its Pension Board.
The Chair’s aim is to enable the Pension Board to fulfil its responsibilities in respect of the governance of the East Sussex Pension Fund (the Fund) in accordance with the Public Service Pension Scheme Act 2013, legislation governing the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and the Code of Practice issued by The Pensions Regulator.
As Chair, you will play an important role in the leadership and governance of the Pension Board as it works closely with East Sussex County Council, as the Scheme Manager, in relation to the following matters:
• Securing compliance with LGPS regulations and other legislation relating to the governance and administration of the scheme
• Securing compliance with requirements imposed in relation to the Fund by The Pensions Regulator
• Ensuring any breach of duty is considered and reported under the scheme’s procedure for reporting to the Pensions Regulator and to the Scheme Manager
• Assisting the Scheme Manager to ensure the effective and efficient governance and administration of the scheme.
It will be the role of the Chair to:
• Plan, with officers, the annual cycle of Pension Board meetings and setting the agenda
• Manage the Pension Board meetings to ensure that the business of the meeting is completed, ensuring that all voices and opinions are heard and ensuring a consensus is reached
• Ensure that the actions and rationale for decisions taken are clear and properly recorded and that recommendations made at the Pension Board are monitored and implemented
• Uphold and promote the purpose of the Pension Board, and to ensure that meetings are properly conducted and professional advice is followed
• To use their expertise and experience and liaise with the Head of Pensions to agree advice required to support the Pension Board
• Sign the minutes of each Pension Board meeting following approval by the Board
• Prepare, with the Head of Pensions, an appropriate budget for the Pension Board‘s consideration before being formally considered by the Scheme Manager along with the Fund’s Annual Budget
• Liaise with officers and advisors on the requirements of the Pension Board, including advanced notice for Scheme Manager officers to attend and arranging dates and times of Board meetings
• Provide guidance on all points of procedure and order at meetings having regard to advice from officers
• Ensure that all new Pension Board members fully understand their role and responsibilities
• Ensure that the Pension Board has in place the training and support for Board members required to enable Board members to effectively undertake their duties
• Liaise with the Chair of the Pension Committee, as deemed appropriate
• The Independent Chair is not a voting position.
• The Pension Board meets four times a year; papers are dispatched in the week before; the chair is provided a pre-brief meeting
• The Pension Committee meet four times a year, where the Independent Chair is invited to attend to share details of discussions of scheme member and scheme employer representatives as part of the committee’s deliberation of reports
• Attendance at working group meetings including the Administration working group and Communications Working Group. These meetings are held online
• Attend the annual employer forum day
• Attend relevant training sessions and complete an annual knowledge assessment
• Ad hoc communications as necessary.
For this role you will need to:
• Have proven leadership skills with the ability to chair meetings effectively
• Have knowledge and experience of governance or management of occupational pension schemes, preferably with experience within the LGPS
• Be able to commit time to preparation for and attendance at Board meetings and other required activities.
This role will attract remuneration of £10,000 p.a. The time commitment for the Chair is expected to be approximately 15 days per annum. The appointment will be for a four year term with a possible extension of two years. Expenses will be reimbursed.
For an informal discussion, please contact Michael Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this post, please submit your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the above requirements to:
Pensions Manager – Governance and Compliance
County Hall, St Anne’s Crescent
Lewes, East Sussex
East Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitable candidates, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. All applications are treated on merit.